Learners Today, Leaders Tomorrow

Chronology

Learn More

1823

St. James School opened.

1828

The Sisters of Charity undertook the school’s direction.

1851

The De La Salle Christian Brothers assumed direction of the boys' section of what was then known as the St. James School on Jay Street in Brooklyn.

1865

The St. James’ Band played at the funeral of President Abraham Lincoln.

1883

Commercial classes were added and the school’s name became St. James Commercial High School.

1884

St. James published the Mentor, the first Catholic high school newspaper in the United States.

1897

The New York Board of Regents incorporated the school.

1923

An official alumni society was established.

1926

St. James became a diocesan high school for boys and was renamed St. James Diocesan High School.

1927

The school published the first edition of its newspaper, The Jamesonian: a tradition that has continued to the present day.

1933

The school moved to Clermont Avenue and its name was changed to Bishop Loughlin Memorial High School in honor of John Loughlin, the first Roman Catholic Bishop of Brooklyn (1853-1891).

1934

The first Senior Prom was held.

1937

John Horan wrote the first stanza of the Alma Mater.

1938

The Loughlinite, the school yearbook, made its first appearance.

1947

Loughlin adopted Leo the Lion as its mascot.

1969

St. Augustine Diocesan High School for boys was closed and merged with Bishop Loughlin.

1973

Bishop McDonnell Memorial High School, a diocesan school for girls, was closed and the students were transferred to Bishop Loughlin. For the first time in its 122 year history, Loughlin was coeducational.

2001

Loughlin marked its 150th anniversary and established a Board of Governors.

2006

Loughlin partnered with Anchor, Inc. to open a boarding school for boys.

2008

75th anniversary as Bishop Loughlin Memorial High School. After consultation with the Board of Governors, the school transitioned to a President/Principal administration model.

2011

School opens the new Cozzi-Murray Performing Arts Center and Lancer Music Studio after a successful $400,000 fundraising campaign

2012

The Board of Governors secures the conveyance of Loughlin's school building and field from the Diocese of Brooklyn to Loughlin and the transfer of the governance of Loughlin from the Diocese of Brooklyn to the Board of Directors.

2013

Loughlin becomes the site for the second largest NYC DEP (Department of Environmental Protection) funded Green Roof project in Brooklyn (Brooklyn Navy Yard is the largest)

2016

Celebrates 165th Anniversary and concludes successful $12 MM Capital Campaign –the largest fundraising campaign in school history