Performing and Visual Arts Program
The performing arts program is designed to prepare the student for college, as well as a career in the arts. Our program is highly demanding, but can take any student, whether they are a beginner or advanced, to the college level. Evidence of this is seen in the high number of students receiving scholarships, performing well in state competitions and evaluations, as well as being able to perform with sophisticated groups in the NY metropolitan area.
Performing Arts Opportunities @ Loughlin
- The performing arts program is responsible for about 50 performances throughout the school year and includes a variety of ensembles.
- 20% of our students receive scholarships into universities.
- 95% of our students score in the highest percentile of NYSSMA.
- Students also perform with the Interschool Orchestra which is a NYC based ensemble conducted by professional musicians affiliated with the NY Philharmonic.
- Students are also members of Jazz at Lincoln Center, directed by Wynton Marsalis.
- Students also perform with the All City Honors music ensembles.
- Every year a Broadway musical is performed which is a collaborative effort between music, dance and drama.
- In their senior year of high school, advanced students may work as a teacher assistant in any of the music elective classes and receive a full credit for it.